1.17.2009

How to Continue Ruining An Organization

To continue the downfall of your team:

+ Trade Dany Sabourin and Ryan Stone for Mathieu Garon.

Garon's stats for the year: 15 GP, 3.17 GAA, .895 SV%.
Sabourin's stats for the year: 19 GP, 2.85 GAA, .898 SV%

Not only did they make an unnecessary goaltending trade, but they also shipped out Ryan Stone. I'm not Stone's biggest fan or anything, and I don't know where exactly his future lies. But I do know he is a guy who has discovered and accepted his role as an agitator who works hard and chips in points now and then. His work ethic had been called into question in the past, but I do think he had changed recently. I'm not sure it was time to get rid of him yet.

My favorite part is the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's lead-in:

In a move apparently designed to give starting goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury a little more competition, the Penguins today acquired goaltender Mathieu Garon from Edmonton in a trade for backup goaltender Dany Sabourin, minor-league forward Ryan Stone and a fourth-round pick in the 2011 NHL draft.

Judging by their almost even stats (in which Garon's are slightly worse), I'm not sure how this gives Fleury any more competition.

+ Call up Bill Thomas ahead of Jeff Taffe.
I understand how Pittsburgh wants to see their little hometown boy up in the show, but to skip over Jeff Taffe first is ridiculous in my opinion. Taffe has 44 points in 36 games (17+27) compared to Thomas' 14 points in 33 games (5+9). I can understand wanting to give different guys chances, but it's not like Taffe has been called up a lot this year. Thomas looked good over the last month, but he still hasn't looked as good as Taffe. Calling up Taffe would have given them the option to reunite him with Janne Pesonen and Chris Minard.

Hey - whatever Pittsburgh. It's your future. Right now you look awfully desperate.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com